Tuesday, May 19, 2015

10 Easy Healthy Foods For The Picky Eater



I mentioned in my last post that I'm reading the book Skin Cleanse, and it has really had me thinking lately about my diet and the way I eat. Because, let's face it, I haven't exactly gained the reputation for being health-concious. The older I've gotten, the more information I've learned and the more bad habits I've been shedding.

For example, up until a year or so ago, I drank Dr. Pepper every single day like it was going out of style. For many years it was basically all I drank. Chef Boyardee, frozen pizzas, pizza in general, and candy bars were my favorite foods.

I've always been a picky eater, but I'm working on branching out, trying new things, and eating more of the healthy foods I do like.

Today I'm going to name some easy ways to incorporate healthy foods into your everyday diet that don't necessarily mean living off of raw brussel sprouts. You should know, however, that this is not necessarily a post about magical foods that will help you to lose weight. It's more about choosing healthier foods that have vitamins, minerals, and other important things our bodies need.

So if you're a picky eater like me (or are responsible for feeding one!), here are some easy ways to replace those bad eating habits with good ones:

1. Organic/Greek Yogurt. I've always loved yogurt, but it was more like the sugary kinds filled with artificial ingredients. My husband works at the Fresh Market, which is a grocery store that sells a lot of organic food options, and this is where I get mine. If you don't have a store like this in your town, I would recommend Greek yogurt, or even yogurts made from coconut or almond milk. They're better for you than say, Yoplait, even if you're not lactose-intolerant.

2. Raw Carrots. I know a lot of people who may not eat raw cauliflower, but they'll eat raw carrots. You can dip them in a dressing if you'd like!

3. Cocoa-Dusted Almonds. Landen at Measure and Whisk just recently posted a ridiculously easy recipe for these and I can't wait to try it! Almonds and other nuts in general are fantastic for you and are an easy snack to carry around with you. You could even make a trail mix with raisins or other dried fruits!

4. Baked Sweet Potatoes. Literally all you have to do is put one of these bad boys in the oven for maybe an hour or so, depending on their size. They're delicious, easy to make, inexpensive, and a great super-food for their nutritional benefits!

5. Roasted Broccoli. You can put some broccoli florets (I always recommend fresh veggies instead of  frozen or canned) on a pan, drizzle some olive oil on them, and bake them at 425 degrees F for about 10 minutes. When they're finished, sprinkle some salt, pepper, or even parmesan cheese on them if you'd like. Delicious! You can also do this with many other veggies for an easy and delicious side or snack!

6. Greek-Yogurt Covered Blueberries. I found this recipe on Pinterest, and here's the link to the recipe. It's a super easy and delicious summertime snack!

7. Overnight Oats. I've got the ingredients and this is happening at my house tonight. The basics include rolled oats, milk (I'm using unsweetened almond milk), and greek yogurt (not necessary but if you want it a bit creamier) in a mason jar overnight. Here's a link to a ton of yummy recipes, that include adding blueberries, strawberries, bananas, peanut butter, etc. to make an even better breakfast that's full of anti-oxidants, protein, fiber, and more!

8. Organic Protein Bars. I say "organic" simply because not every protein or claimed health bar on the market is necessarily good for you. I used to get Special K protein and granola bars because I thought they were good for me, but they're still full of artificial ingredients and sugar. My favorite brands are Luna Bars (70% organic) and thinkThin bars. I also like Cliff Bars, which are more widely available. They have a lot of vitamins/minerals, and are good replacement when you're craving that Milky Way. I wouldn't recommend these to be meal replacements (maybe breakfast every once in awhile if you're in a hurry) but they're really good and good for you!

9. Baked Chicken Instead of Fried. I drizzle some olive oil and add spices like sea salt, pepper, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano on chicken breasts and bake them at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. I sometimes bake mine a little longer because I'd rather have dry chicken than salmonella poisoning. This simple recipe is infinitely better for you than fried chicken, and you can do so many things with it! I love it on a salad :)

10. Baked Sweet Potato Chips. Okay, so I haven't tried this one yet but how could this not be delicious? All you do is slice a sweet potato into thin pieces, drizzle with olive oil, and bake at 275 for 50 minutes, flipping halfway through. I would try also adding honey and cinnamon. Yummy! And so much better for you than those processed, greasy chips!


These are simply my own ideas for how I incorporate healthier foods into my diet. Just remember the road to a healthier lifestyle doesn't have to happen overnight! I'm certainly not there yet, and I'm almost constantly learning new nutritional facts. If you were to do only one thing, it should be to drink more water and eat less sugar. I'm working on this but definitely not where I want to be!

Do you strive to eat a healthier diet? What are your favorite snacks or meal items?

No comments:

Post a Comment