Monday, May 4, 2015

Discipleship: What Does That Mean, Anyway?




I've recently had the pleasure of beginning to disciple a teen girl at the church we attend. She's fifteen, an age I was actually at not all that long ago. She actually just recently got saved and her mom felt as though she needed someone to help her grow in her new relationship with the Lord.

When her mom approached me about the idea of discipling her youngest daughter, I have to admit that I felt incredibly honored, yet completely inadequate. I mean, I still feel as though I have so much growing to do! I'm only 22 and I've only been married for two months. I have so much to learn and I'm still growing in my own walk with the Lord. Plus, I've never discipled anyone before. But that's just been a reminder to me that I'm nothing but inadequate and I'll never be able to do something like this on my own. I need the Lord's help and guidance as I seek to teach this girl the things that God taught me in my teen years.

Because let's be serious. The teen years are tough.

My plan is to go through a book that was a significant aid to me in my own teen years, a book entitled Authentic Beauty by Leslie Ludy. It taught me that I will never be satisfied with a guy, friends, the latest styles, or anything that the world offers to appease the desires of my soul. Nothing other than Jesus Christ can do that. He is my true Knight in shining armor who saved me from my destiny. This book even has a study guide that I'm going to use so that we can have some basis for discussion in our time together.


So what are my goals in this season on discipleship?

Build Her Trust: First of all, I want her to know she can trust me. That she can talk to me about absolutely anything she's going through and I'll be there to listen and support and give advice and godly counsel when she needs it.

Her Relationship with Christ: I want to inspire her to spend time with Him daily, reading His word and praying, not because she needs to or because it will make her a better Christian or person, but because that's the only way we become anything like Him: by spending time in His presence. I want to encourage her to read Christian biographies about missionaries and women of the faith, as well as Christian non-fictions. These are the things that brought me closer to Christ in my teen years, as well as what continues to grow me closer to Him today.

Be a True Friend: As the pastor of my church says, we're just going to "do life together". I'll take her shopping, we'll hang out at Starbucks with a drink and just talk, maybe even hang out at my apartment. The thing is that's how you reach people. You can't force religion down their throats, tell them what sinners they are, and walk away. You need to love people. Build relationships with them. Direct them toward the gospel.


If you're currently in the process of discipleship, I hope that this was helpful to you! If you've never considered discipling a younger woman, I would take the time to read over the following verses:

And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. -2 Timothy 2:2

Not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. -Hebrews 10:25

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. -James 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment