Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Raving

Two wonderful things happened this past weekend. 1. I saw Catching Fire.  2. I started reading the Divergent series.

I read the first book in 2 days and the second book in 4. I could have read the second in three, but my forgetful self left my book at work last night...right on the shelf. Each book is about 500 pages. To state the obvious, they were awesome.  

This morning I arrived at work and headed to the toddler room where I start and end my days. Thankfully, my book Insurgent was right where I thought it was...in the toddler room. Another girl I work with was already in the room and my mouth dropped open when she said she had never heard of the Divergent series...or The Hunger Games.

Where have you been hiding? Under a rock?

Of course I didn't say that out loud. But seriously?


First off, the Catching Fire movie was seriously amazing. I could go on and on for hours about how close the events in the book matched exactly what I envisioned while reading the book. I was already impressed with the first book with how closely the characters matched the books' description of what the characters looked like. I think that's very important. Honestly, in the book, I hated Finnick. Like, really hated him. I didn't like him much in the movie at first, but I was able to trust him much more quickly. (Living in the book, much?) I could tell they really stepped up their game with the second movie when it came to graphics, costume, etc. The Hunger Games was super popular, so I'm sure they had more money to play with this time. People liked the characters they chose, so this one was almost given to be just as...if not more...popular.


Now for the Divergent serious. I. could. not. stop. reading. I've only read the first and second but they've been the best books I've read since the Hunger Games trilogy. I cried at the end of The Mockingjay. I don't cry at the end of a book or movie. I never had before that one.

The difference in my opinion? The Hunger Games was more emotionally enticing (hence I cried) while the Divergent series is much more involved in intellect. The Divergent series was full of so much psychology. I took a psychology class in high school and became so fascinated with how the brain works. The mind truly is an amazing thing. I have enjoyed putting the pieces together in this series, and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the third and final book!

Who else who read this series fell in love with Tris and Four? Especially Four? Four is so strong and brave, and yet doesn't mind showing all his weaknesses in front of Tris. And then she became his greatest, and possibly only, weakness. I liked their romance more than Katniss and Peeta's.

My beef with what I've seen of the Divergent movie, like many others, is that the characters aren't what I envisioned. At all. I plan to forget my own perceptions the books' descriptions and see the movie with an open mind. It comes out in March, very close to my birthday, so I will be seeing it for sure then! I can hardly contain my excitement.

I love a good series, but who doesn't get all nostalgic when it's all over? I will attempt to savor the last book of the series while I am still ignorant of how it all ends.

While there's still much, much more to feel and discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment