Thursday, December 19, 2013

Deeper Than My Feet Could Ever Wander

"Go ahead, I'll meet you on the other side." This is what Jesus told his disciples as he dismissed the curious followers that had crowded around him. The disciples went ahead as their Master broke away to spend some time with the Father in prayer. They had no idea what events would fold before their eyes in the next few hours.

That evening, waves bounced heavily upon the boat that held the closest followers of Jesus Christ. Then, in the distance, they saw an image of what appeared to be a man. Or a ghost? The disciples cried out in fear, only to hear the sweet voice of their Savior calm them with His very presence. It is the same "I AM" that spoke to Moses in the burning bush.

It is God.

"Lord, if it is You, command me to come to you on the water." Peter called out to the figure. Who else would be so eager to prove himself to Christ, the others, or perhaps even himself? Regardless, Jesus beckons him to come. And he came.

Peter slowly stepped on foot out of the boat and felt the salt water wet against his skin, perhaps a hundred feet or more above the bottom of the ocean, and yet it is as solid as the sand that the waves kiss at the shore. But Peter thought of none of this as he defied the laws of density and took one step, then another, and another and his eyes are only on the God-man.

Suddenly, a gust of wind blew across Peter's face and he began to feel water not only on his feet, but ankles and legs. He began to sink. "Lord, save me!", Peter cried out and Christ surely lifted him up. He would never leave him to drown. What reason would Peter have to doubt?


I know for certain if I were one of the disciples in the boat, I would not have been the one to step my foot out. I recognize this lack of faith in my own heart. I would be quick to encourage another to take that step of faith and allow myself to sit back and witness the miracle being performed before my eyes all within the safety of the boat.

But is that truly where the safety resides? In the boat? Is the boat the safest place to be, with only pieces of wood nailed together to support this house that holds my soul?

Or is it on the waters, where waves crash hard and where proven laws of science state that I cannot walk? Is that not where my Savior is?



Miracles are occurring all around me everyday. More often than not, they go unnoticed. Or maybe I get too used to their existence. But what miracles wait for me to just say "yes" to the gentle pull of God on my soul? Indeed, they may seem dangerous. Opportunities that bring the fears that plague my spirit along with them. But...what if I say yes? What if I, knowing the danger and fear and all else that is certain to come along with the package, say yes anyway? What miracles would I have the opportunity to experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment