Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Winter Wonderland Christmas Decor

Can you believe that Christmas is only a week away? I've done all of my Christmas shopping, except for one gift card that I need to pick up this week. Other than that, I'm done. And most of it is wrapped. Now I can sit back and enjoy the last few days of the holiday season rather than including myself in the last-minute-frenzy.

This past weekend we finally put Christmas decorations up at my house (I'll try to get some pictures to come) and during the process I made a few realizations regarding my own personal decorating taste.

For one, I don't like Santa Clauses. I don't believe in hiding the fact that Santa isn't real from kids. I mean, why would you want to let him get the credit for the presents you bought for them with your own hard-earned money? That's just me. I also think it's important to emphasize that Jesus is the reason for the season. Especially to young kids, and the whole Santa idea takes away from the real reason we celebrate Christmas (I know it's kind of cliche, but seriously). I don't necessarily see anything wrong with incorporating a little Santa fun with the Christmas traditions as long as Jesus Christ is magnified first and foremost this holiday season.

Okay, rant over. Back to the point of this post :) ...

In my own home someday, I plan to decorate with snowmen, snowflakes, and items that point more toward the real reason we should celebrate Christmas. I also like the idea of doing a "winter-wonderland" for the fact that you can keep it all up after the holiday, too. I lean more toward neutral colors like white, gold, and silver while adding some red and blue accents for color.

Here are a few things I pinned on my Christmas pinterest board that sum up my holiday decorating style:



Cute, isn't it? The holiday decor was already 50 percent off at Target today so I picked up a few things I could keep and use in my own Christmas decor in the future.  Maybe after Christmas I'll be able to score a few more things like ornaments marked down even further. I plan to do a post on that after Christmas :)

I hope you have an especially wonderful Christmas this year and that you allow all of the seasonal magic to point back to the Christ that was born to pay the price of our sin many years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment