Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Generously Love

When I was attending Bible college, I took a class that was all about to be a good wife. Yes, a class on it. Only at a Bible college.

Of course, hoping that I would soon be engaged, I attempted to soak in all the wisdom I could on the subject. There was a wonderful book of which we were assigned to read particular chapters, and now that I have finished the class and am actually preparing for marriage, I decided I would reread it. I've only reviewed the first chapter of it so far, but I have realized that I have a lot of work to do.

The thing  is, the common perception from those who are unwed (including myself) is that marriage is simple. Easy really. Just be in love, stay in love, and be sweet. Know your duties and fulfill them. Keep the house clean and have kids and take care of them and live happily ever after.

I'm learning, however, that if I want to be and stay happily married, and make my husband happy, I have much preparation before me. Of course, the only way to achieve this is to put Christ first. I cannot expect Casey to fulfill every single one of my desires. Only Jesus Christ can do that. Only out of an abundance of grace and love poured out from Him can I find joy in my relationship with others, including my wonderful husband to-be.

Likewise, as much as I love Casey and want to make him happy and give him everything he wants and needs, I must remember that only God can do that. Our relationships with Him come first, and only then can we find happiness and love in each other.

Perhaps because we are not naturally loving or kind or generous. We're naturally selfish, controlling, and ugly, and only when Jesus Christ pours out His own character upon us will we be able to generously love.

My prayer is that God would mold me into the perfect wife for my beloved, although I never truly will be perfect. I will always make mistakes, but I want to be a help, not a hindrance, to the call God places upon his heart. Being a wife is a serious task with much responsibility, but I'm also looking forward to its many wonderful rewards.



No comments:

Post a Comment