Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Surpassing.

"But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and counted them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ..." -Philippians 3:7-8

I had read or heard this verse perhaps a dozen times or more, but when I was working on my reading through Philippians today, it really hit me. Paul had given up everything, everything, for Christ. He gave up comforts and desires and even his own life...and he counted it all loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ.

Surpassing.

It surpasses anything this world could ever offer. It surpasses its own version of love. It surpasses money and being well liked, friends and success. To Paul, none of it mattered. Does it matter to me? What value do I place on the way I dress or the digits in my bank account? Do I care too much of what others think of me, even above what Christ thinks of me? Have I really, truly, grasped the concept that He matters so much more? If I lost it all, would Christ be enough? If not, can I really claim Him as my all in all?

No comments:

Post a Comment